Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme in which we answer a question about books or reading.
This week it’s about romance:
Have you ever fallen in love with a fictional character? Who and what about them did you love?
I’ve had the occasional crush on fictional characters both in books/cartoons and on screen. Here’s a few of them:
- Modesty Blaise: Oh, so sexy. And smart. The first crush I can remember.
- Beatrice in Much Ado about Nothing: Only when played by Emma Thompson. To be honest I have a crush on anyone played by Emma Thompson.
- Kaylee in Firefly:She’s smart and cute as a button. What’s not to love?
- Mal in Firfly: Smart, funny.
- …..well, to be honest… everyone in Firefly.
- Samantha Carter and Rodney McKay in the Stargate universe: Smart and funny. Oh, there’s a cute medical doctor too: Janet Fraiser. And then another cute medical doctor played by Jewel Staite, who played Kaylee in Firefly, need I say more…
- Miles Vorkosigan in the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. He’s smart and funny. (Does anyone notice a recurring theme here?) Then, when he met his wife to be, Ekaterin, I promptly had a crush on her too. And on his mother, his mother is wonderful.
- Kivrin Engle in Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. To be honest I have a crush by a Connie Willis character every time I read a book by her.
- Miromurr, the gliding-cat in The Chronicles of the Starship Alexandria by Jon Bing. Hey, he’s cute. And he lives on a library ship flying through space. Really, I have a crush on the whole series. Not translated into English I’m afraid. Your loss.
- …and quite a few others…