Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme in which we answer a question about books or reading.
This week’s question is:
If you had to pick only 5 books to read ever again, what would they be and why?’
That is truly a cruel question. Just thinking about it makes me want to bang my head into a wall. But that would hurt even more, so I wont.
Fiction, I would need some of that:
– Lord of the Rings / J.R.R. Tolkien: It’s long, it has a great story, it’s one of my favorite books.
– The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (omnibus edition) / Douglas Adams: Again, it’s long. And it’s funny.
– Daughters of a Coral Dawn / Katherine V. Forrest: It’s not the world’s best book, but it’s science fiction and lesbian utopia. I’ll need some of that.
– The latest, and unread, edition of The Year’s Best Science Fiction: It’s long and I haven’t read it yet.
I also need some non-fiction:
– A Short History of Nearly Everything / Bill Bryson: It’s long, my favorite argument today, and it contains a lot of stuff.
Of course, what I would do if this question really came up is to argue “them” into letting me have 5 Kindle’s. Then I’d fill them all to the brim with both old favorites and unread books. I’d read for the rest of my life, regardless of how long it was, while swearing everytime another good book was published without me being allowed to read it. Of course, I’d also make sure I’d have subscriptions to a few magazines laid into one of the kindles, that way I’d always have access to new short stories. And magazines aren’t books, so I wouldn’t be cheating.